Turns out there is a reason why the pattern layouts call for certain pieces to be cut out when the fabric is folded.
This lesson was learnt when on Saturday night I went to attach the second side of my apron to the middle and discovered that I had cut the pieces out the same way and so I had two right sides and no left! Of cause I didn't have enough fabric to cut the again so it meant another trip to the store, lucky for me it is only 5 minutes down the road!
Other than one-side-of-the-apron issue, I am pretty happy with how things have gone so far. I will admit that a friend who knows how to sew did come over to guide me through, lucky because I would have been pretty lost without her. I probably could have worked it out *cough* u-tube *cough*, but it was quicker and much more fun with my friend there holding my hand so to speak.